Much of the success of the experience abroad is built on good preparation beforehand! There are still many things to remember during the time abroad that will ensure a safe, successful experience for everyone:
- Keep your general health strong by getting a good night’s rest and eating healthy.
- Stay positive and focused on the wonderful opportunity you have to experience so many new places and meet new friends.
Always remember L&F’s Program Expectations relating to safety, such as:
- I agree to consciously limit the use of electronic devices so that I can focus on the program, the country, and the people I am visiting.
- I will be a safe traveler: I will keep my passport and my money safe in a neck or waist pouch; I will never venture out alone; during any free time, I agree to stay in a group of three or more; I will never accept rides from or give information to strangers.
- If I have any questions or concerns while abroad, I agree to first contact my leader, or during the family stay, the local coordinator, instead of my parents.
L&F’s Communication Expectations are the result of many years of experience organizing family stays abroad and in the U.S. The are in place for your benefit, in order for students to make the most of their experience. Read full Communication Expectations
In Case of Illness or Injury
- Your teacher, the local coordinator, or your host family will find medical assistance as needed. (Parents have signed a release authorizing medical care.)
- Travelers are required to pay costs for doctor visits and medication at the time of service, and must keep original bills (showing service provided) and receipts (showing payment).
- Teachers and host families should not pay. Claims are payable only to the Insured traveler.
- In case of hospitalization or major medical expense, call the number on your Core™ insurance card for immediate assistance.
In Case of Lost Items
- If an item is lost, search your bags carefully and, if possible, retrace your steps.
- Whether the item is lost or stolen, if it is of significant value your leader can help you file a report with the nearest police station.
- If the item needs to be replaced, the traveler is required to pay and keep receipts.
- Once you have returned home, you might be able to file a claim. (You will need a copy of the police report that was filed.)
- If you chose to upgrade your Core™ Insurance to include coverage for baggage and personal effects, you can log in to your Core™ account to download a claim form.
- Otherwise, you might be able to file a claim with your family’s homeowners insurance.
L&F staff is available 24/7 to assist teachers with any questions or concerns during the time abroad.
Parents are encouraged to call L&F rather than contacting their child or the teacher/leader. Your L&F coordinator is the best resource to address your questions and will help with any follow-up needed.
Students are expected and prepared to talk with their teacher/leader or the local coordinator in case of any question or concern.