LANGUAGE & FRIENDSHIP PROGRAM EXPECTATIONS
Participation in this program is a privilege. Participants are expected to maintain good academic standing, be in excellent health, and demonstrate excellent behavior, conducting themselves in a mature manner, reflecting highly on themselves, their community, and their country. Success of the program for all requires that each participant abide by the expectations for the benefit and safety of all.
Please note that these expectations apply to conduct both prior to and during the program abroad, both in and outside of the school environment. Failure to abide by these expectations may result in removal from the program.
Each L&F program participant and parent will agree to the following expectations:
- I will respect my leader and the members of my group by being on time and participating in all planned activities, including all pre-trip preparation meetings.
- I will make my best effort to speak the country’s language. I will show interest, be engaged, and be helpful.
- As outlined in the L&F Communication Expectations (separate document), I agree to consciously limit the use of electronic devices so that I can focus on the program, the country, and the people I am visiting.
- I will be a safe traveler: I will keep my passport and my money safe in a neck or waist pouch; I will never venture out alone; stay in a group of three or more; not be distracted by technology.
- I will treat people I meet with respect and discretion, as I am a guest in their country. I will thoroughly review the Travel Courtesies and the Family Stay sections in the Student Guidebook.
- I will abide by the curfews set by my leader, and will remain in my assigned room. I will conduct myself in a manner to keep my general health strong.
- I agree to act, speak, and dress appropriately, in a manner that is respectful of the culture I am visiting and in a manner that will not attract undue attention. I will not use inappropriate language and will not have inappropriate physical contact.
- I will not engage in romantic/sexual involvement while abroad.
- I will not harass or bully my peers or others I interact with during the program.
- I will not participate in any actions that are illegal either in the U.S. or in the country I am visiting, such as consuming alcohol, using tobacco or other controlled substance, stealing, etc.
- I will not have my body pierced or tattooed while abroad.
- I will not drive any motorized vehicle, nor will I be a passenger on a two-wheeled motorized vehicle, while abroad. High-risk activities (climbing, hunting, riding in a private plane, etc.) require prior written permission of my parents.
- I will be responsible for any loss or damage to any personal or public property, and will pay damages. This includes damage to hotels, sites, host family’s home, etc.
- I will be responsible for having a passport that is valid for my destination/s and any other documentation that is required. I understand that I am responsible for any expenses incurred in obtaining these documents or in replacing them if they are lost.
- If I have any questions or concerns while abroad, I agree to first contact my leader, or during the family stay, the local coordinator, instead of my parents.
- I agree to abide by all my leader’s rules and accept my leader’s word as final.
Consequences for not meeting expectations prior to departure:
As indicated in L&F’s cancellation policy and in the release signed with the application, Language & Friendship reserves the right to cancel a student’s participation at any time should there be academic, behavioral, or medical issues. Cancellation fees apply.
Discipline procedures while abroad:
Discipline procedures while abroad depend on the offense and are subject to leader discretion. Disciplinary action may include any or all of the following:
- Address concern directly with student (may include grounding)
- Collect call home with both student and leader present to explain the issue
- Return home at parent expense
- Parents will be required to cover any incurred expenses: student return flight; additional travel/hotel costs for student; any additional in-country travel/hotel costs for leader if travel is required to reach an available airport. Parent(s) must agree for child to fly home alone or to pay for unaccompanied minor service.
Note: Despite the complication, time, cost, and disappointment involved in sending a student home, it is considered a necessary consequence of broken rules in order to maintain the integrity of our program.