LANGUAGE & FRIENDSHIP PROGRAM EXPECTATIONS
Participation in this program is a privilege. Participants are expected to maintain good academic standing, be in excellent health, and demonstrate excellent behavior, conducting themselves in a mature manner, reflecting highly on themselves, their community, their country. Success of the program for all requires that each participant abide by the expectations for the benefit and safety of all. Be aware of the burden of responsibility each leader bears and of the dedication shown in providing you this experience.
Please note that these expectations apply to conduct both prior to and during the program abroad, both in and outside of the school environment. Failure to abide by these expectations may result in removal from the program.
Each L&F program participant and parent will agree to the following expectations:
- I will respect my leader and the members of my group by being on time and participating in all planned activities, including all pre-travel preparation meetings.
- I will make my best effort to speak the language of the country I am visiting. I will show interest, be engaged, and be helpful.
- As outlined in the L&F Communication Expectations (separate document), I agree to consciously limit the use of electronic devices so that I can focus on the program, the country, and the people I am visiting.
- I will be a safe traveler: I will keep my passport and my money safe in a neck or waist pouch; I will never venture out alone; during any free time, I agree to stay in a group of three or more; I will never accept rides from or give information to strangers.
- I will treat people I meet with respect and discretion, as I am a guest in their country. I will thoroughly review the Travel Courtesies and the Family Stay sections in the Student Guidebook.
- I will abide by the curfews set by my leader, and will remain in my assigned room after curfew. I will conduct myself in a manner to keep my general health strong, i.e. getting a good night’s rest and eating properly.
- I agree to act, speak, and dress appropriately, in a manner that is respectful of the culture I am visiting and in a manner that will not attract undue attention. I will not use inappropriate language and will not have inappropriate physical contact.
- I will not engage in romantic/sexual involvement or in any kind of behavior leading to it, while abroad.
- I will not participate in any actions that are illegal either in the U.S. or in the country I am visiting, such as consuming alcohol, using tobacco or any other controlled substance, stealing, etc. If detained by the police, I understand that I am subject to the host country’s laws and authorities.
- I will not have my body pierced or tattooed while abroad.
- I will not drive any motorized vehicle, nor will I be a passenger on a two-wheeled motorized vehicle. If invited to participate in a high-risk activity (such as climbing, hunting, flying in a private plane…), I agree to first ask L&F to obtain the written permission of my parents.
- I will be responsible for any loss or damage to any personal or public property, and pay damages, if applicable. This includes any damage to hotel, buses, sites visited, host family’s home, and other participants’ property.
- I will be responsible for having a valid passport and any other documentation that is required. I understand that I am responsible for any expenses incurred in obtaining these documents or in replacing them if they are lost.
- If I have any questions or concerns while abroad, I agree to first contact my leader, or during the family stay, the local coordinator, instead of my parents.
- I agree to abide by any other rules my leader may require. I accept my leader’s word as final.
Consequences for not meeting expectations prior to departure:
As indicated in L&F’s cancellation policy and in the release signed with the application, Language & Friendship reserves the right to cancel a student’s participation should there be academic, behavioral, or medical issues. Cancellation fees apply.
Discipline procedures while abroad:
Expectation #9 is a zero-tolerance expectation and any infraction results in immediate repatriation. Other discipline procedures depend on the offense and are subject to leader discretion. Disciplinary action may include any or all of the following:
- Address concern directly with student (may include grounding)
- Collect call home with both student and leader present
- Return home at parental expense
- Parents will be required to cover any incurred expenses: student return flight; additional travel/hotel costs for student; any additional in-country travel/hotel costs for leader if travel is required to reach an available airport. Parent(s) must agree for child to fly home alone, pay for unaccompanied minor service, or fly abroad to pick up child.
Note: Despite the complication, time, cost, and disappointment involved in sending a student home, it is considered a necessary consequence of broken rules in order to maintain the integrity of our program.