- Students travel with a teacher/chaperone who will call or e-mail students periodically during the stay to make sure things are going well.
- Local teachers or L&F staff contact host families after the first few days and then weekly during the stay to check if there are any questions or concerns.
- Phone numbers for foreign teachers, L&F office, and L&F staff are given in the Pre-Arrival Mailing in case host families or students need to reach these support people.
Tips for a Successful Stay
- Be as direct as possible with your visitor. As with any experience where language and cultures are different, there may be times when you are not sure how the visitor is feeling. Being direct can clear up many concerns and questions during the stay.
- Treat your student as you would your own family member. Having the same expectations can alleviate many issues during the stay and also can make the student feel more at home.
- Try to live as normally as you can. It is wonderful to include your student in some of your favorite activities during the stay, but we find that families that stick to their normal routines tend to enjoy the hosting experience more. While some families plan a few local excursions, too much extra planning can cause unneeded stress. Remember that most “normal” activities are new for students, so it is not necessary to make elaborate plans.
- Include your visitor in everything you do. Giving the option to stay home instead of going along on errands or other activities can lead to homesickness, so we encourage you to include them as much as possible. Don’t worry if it seems mundane – even the simple things can still be a learning experience!
- Contact your local language teacher or contact person during the stay when you have questions or concerns. Some concerns may be due to cultural differences, but many times issues can be caused by the student’s limited language skills or other misunderstandings. The sooner families contact us with questions, the sooner we can help with answers.
About a week before the student departs you will receive an e-mail reminder of the departure information and suggestions for packing and luggage restrictions.