L&F PROGRAM EXPECTATIONS – INDIVIDUAL PROGRAMS
Participation in this program is a privilege. Participants are expected to maintain good academic standing, be in excellent health, and demonstrate excellent behavior, conducting themselves in a mature manner, reflecting highly on themselves, their community, and their country.
Please note that these expectations apply to conduct both prior to and during the program abroad, both in and outside of the school environment. Failure to abide by these expectations may result in removal from the program.
- I understand that a family stay is a cultural experience, not a tourist experience, and I am sincerely interested in learning more about the language and culture by becoming part of family abroad.
- I agree to prepare well and practice speaking so that when I am abroad I will make every effort to speak the language and improve my communication skills.
- I will make my stay a positive experience for others as well as for myself by being open, willing, polite, engaged and appreciative.
- I will participate in all aspects of my host family’s life: conversations, activities, errands, meals and household tasks (setting the table, making my bed, helping prepare meals…), understanding that everything is an opportunity to better learn their language and understand their culture.
- I will respect my host family, understanding that my host parents will be “in loco parentis” and that each member of my host family is to be appreciated for welcoming me into their home.
- I will be a safe traveler: keep my passport and money safe; not be distracted by technology; not go out without my host parents’ permission.
- I will bring a cell phone for use on departure and return travel days. During my family stay, I will consciously limit the use of my cell, understanding that texting is disruptive and distracts me from focusing on new friendships and new experiences. I will ask my host parents’ permission before using the home phone, and for long distance will call collect.
- I will ask permission before using my host family’s computer, and I will limit the use of e-mail or Internet communication or other electronic devices, recognizing that such devices isolate me, hinder communication, and show a lack of interest in what is going on around me.
- I will avoid frequent contact with my family and friends back home. I will do my best to adapt to my new surroundings, and I will address any concerns directly with my host family and/or with the local family-stay coordinator. I understand that the local coordinator is there for me and is the first person I must contact in case of any problem.
- I understand that the most important part of my stay is to experience daily life, so I will not expect my host family to organize activities regularly.
- I will treat people I meet with respect and discretion, as I am a guest in their country.
- I agree to act, speak and dress appropriately, in a manner that is respectful of the culture I am visiting. I will not use inappropriate language and will not have inappropriate physical contact.
- I will not engage in romantic/sexual involvement.
- I will not participate in any actions that are illegal either in the U.S. or in the country I am visiting, such as consuming alcohol, using tobacco or other controlled substances, stealing, etc.
- I will not have my body pierced or tattooed while abroad.
- I will not drive any motorized vehicle, nor will I be a passenger on a two-wheeled motorized vehicle, while abroad. High-risk activities such as climbing, riding in a private plane, etc., require prior written permission of my parents.
- I will be responsible for any loss or damage to any personal or public property, and pay damages.
- I will be responsible for having a passport that is valid for my destination and any other documentation that is required. I understand that I am responsible for any expenses incurred in obtaining these documents or in replacing them if they are lost.
Consequences for not meeting expectations prior to departure:
As indicated in L&F’s cancellation policy and in the release signed with the application, Language & Friendship reserves the right to cancel a student’s participation should there be academic, behavioral, or medical issues. Cancellation fees apply.
Discipline procedures while abroad:
Expectation #14 is a zero-tolerance expectation and any infraction results in immediate repatriation. Other discipline procedures depend on the offense and are subject to L&F discretion. Disciplinary action may include any or all of the following:
- Address concern directly with student (may include grounding)
- Collect call home with both student and Coordinator present
- Return home at parental expense
- Parents are required to cover any incurred expenses: student return flight; additional travel/hotel costs for student; any additional in-country travel/hotel costs for Coordinator if travel is required to reach an available airport. Parent(s) must agree for child to fly home alone, pay for unaccompanied minor service, or fly abroad to pick up child.