- ONE suitcase or duffle bag with built-in wheels, maximum 22″ high
- Must weigh less than 40 lbs. Half that weight is recommended.
- Airlines may allow bigger/heavier bags, but it is essential to pack light and small when traveling as a group.
*Costa Rica and Québec programs: Airlines charge baggage fees for checked bags
- One small, manageable bag like a backpack or shoulder bag.
- Must fit in the overhead bin or under your seat.
- Check with the Transportation Security Administration website (www.tsa.gov) for details on security regulations, e.g. 3-1-1 rule.
- Don’t take anything you can’t afford to lose. Leave at home any items whose sentimental or monetary value makes them irreplaceable.
- Baggage and personal effects coverage is an optional upgrade to the insurance provided with your program.
To keep on you when you travel in waist belt or neck pouch – one or the other is mandatory!
- debit/ATM card, credit card
- small amount of American money and foreign currency
- accommodations/contact list
- watch (be sure to wear a watch; being on time is critical!)
To pack in carry-on: (small, manageable bag)
Note: liquids, gels, creams in 3 oz bottles in one quart-sized plastic bag, per www.tsa.gov
- one change of clothes (in case your suitcase is delayed or lost)
- L&F Student Guidebook
- medicines in original containers (headache, cough/cold) – sample size
- prescriptions and generic names
- camera, memory card, batteries
- sunglasses; eyeglasses (+ prescription), contact cases, 3 oz contact solution
- toothbrush and toothpaste, lip balm, comb/brush
To pack in checked luggage: (max. 22″ high and max. 40 lbs.)
- 3-4 changes of mix-match clothes that can be layered for hot or cool weather.
- one dressy outfit (girls: skirt or dress; boys: pants, button-down shirt)
- 2 pairs comfortable shoes (No flip-flops for daily walking wear!)
- underwear, socks
- pajamas and slippers or flip-flops
- swimsuit, cover-up (seasonal)
- sweater, rain jacket, umbrella (or hooded jacket), gloves
- washcloth and toilet articles in sample sizes, packed in zip-loc baggies to prevent leaking (soap, shampoo, deodorant, shaving supplies, lotion)
- travel alarm, small flashlight/book light
- band-aids, wet wipes, nail clipper, safety pins, plastic picnic utensils
- optional: dual voltage curling/straightening ironPLUS adaptor plug for outlet
For more detailed recommendations, see your Language & Friendship Student Guidebook.
More Preparation topics: