Waist Belt or Neck Pouch: one of these is mandatory!
Language & Friendship permits one checked suitcase and one carry-on. You must be able to manage both on your own.
- ONE suitcase, backpack, or duffle bag with built-in wheels, max 22” high.
- Must weigh less than 40 lbs. Half that weight is recommended.
Airlines may allow bigger/heavier bags, but it is essential to pack light and small when traveling as a group. A bag over 50 lbs. incurs a hefty fee.
- Left unlocked or with a TSA-recognized locking mechanism.
- On the return flight, travelers who have a bag weighing more than 50 lbs. or who check 2 bags should plan to pay a hefty fee.
- Airlines charge checked bag fees on flights to/from Costa Rica and Québec
Prefer to not check a bag? Prefer to travel with a carry-on as your only bag? Great! Just be sure to check the airline website for size/weight restrictions.
- One small, manageable bag like a backpack or shoulder bag.
- Must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
- Traveler must be able to lift it into the overhead bin.
- Check with the Transportation Security Administration website (tsa.gov) for details on security regulations.
- Travelers will receive 2 L&F bag tags. Mark bags both inside and outside with your name, U.S. address, and phone number.
- Leave at home any “irreplaceable” items that are sentimental or expensive.
- Before departure, consider purchasing the Core™ insurance upgrade for baggage/personal effects coverage.
- If luggage is lost, file a claim before leaving the airport. You will need the baggage claim ticket you receive upon check-in.
Groups maintain a conservative dress code to avoid undue attention while abroad, particularly during the travel portion of the program.
- Nice jeans/pants: no holes, no low-riders. Shorts, skirts, and dresses should be of an appropriate length.
- Bring a wrap or sweater to cover shoulders when visiting certain sites.
(Some sites have very strict dress codes for entry. Plan ahead!)
- Flip flops are not primary walking shoes; they are only for the beach.
To Keep in Waist Belt or Neck Pouch
- passport (be sure it is signed)
- debit/check card, ATM card, credit card (hide PINs elsewhere)
- S. money and foreign currency – keep a small amount of cash in purse/wallet
- insurance card
- accommodations /contact list
Keep your pouch hidden under your clothing. Do not leave pouch, money, or credit cards in a hotel room or in a suitcase.
- watch (being on time is critical!)
See country-specific packing lists for more packing information.